While Florida’s cold season is usually short-lived, we are about to enter some of the colder months that the state experiences. As the weather changes and heat exposure is always a concern, for those cold months, cold exposure is a new concern requiring a different set of precautions.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2022, 32.9% of all workers were exposed to the outdoors as part of their employment. In a state like Florida where cold temperatures are not a long-term concern, teammates may be challenged to properly prepare for being outdoors for a daylong shift. Cold weather months start as early as November and can last through early March.
Keeping the team safe from cold exposure
Here are ways to keep your team safe from cold exposure during Florida’s frigid season:
- Recognize the signs of hypothermia. Teammates who are shivering, numb, or fatigued should be addressed quickly to prevent hypothermia from causing significant health issues. Training other teammates to spot the signs can make everyone safer.
- Choosing the best clothing and layering it. Finding very warm clothing can be a challenge in Florida. Layering clothes can be a great alternative -shedding layers if the weather warms or adding additional layers if the days stays frigid.
- Accessories for extremities. Gloves, thermal hats, and waterproof boots all help prevent heat from escaping the body and can help keep teammates warm during cold times and then can be shed in case the day warms up quickly.
- While workers can easily recognize losing water to sweat, during the cold it can be hard to recognize water loss, so proper hydration and nutrition is a helpful way to combat the cold’s effects.
- Provide shelter and warmth. Just like needing to get out of the sun during a hot day, getting out of the cold during a cold day can provide relief to cold teammates and teams.
If you have concerns about the cold and its effects on your team, remember that occupational medicine focuses on workplace safety in all workplaces. From physical exams to ideas that help establish a culture of safety, Jet Medical Center’s staff of physicians can help provide services to your team at our office or your work site. Call, click, or message us today to put our expertise to work for you and your business.
Who is Jet Medical Center®?
Jet Medical Center® is a leading provider of occupational medicine services in the Tallahassee area. We develop, with our client partners, a customized healthcare plan to fit your company’s needs today and into the future.
Our experienced staff of clinicians provides excellent medical care and understands the Worker’s Compensation system and its impact on your company’s financial health. Your employees will have less downtime with less complications reducing overall medical costs.