Business can’t always afford to stop at 5pm. While many businesses can go home for the evening and save work for the next day, some are required to run 24 hours a day. When an overnight shift is important to a business, caring for teammates who run the overnight shift is just as important completing business overnight.
Oxford University’s Society of Occupational Medicine has the following recommendations for helping teammates who work overnight shifts (the hours between 11pm and 6am):
- Introduce and implement a health and wellbeing policy, with an effective risk assessment e.g. covering safety-critical work, handling dangerous goods, driving to and from work on night shifts, access to hot meals, an email policy, etc.
- Give night-time workers a choice. When night shifts are introduced without choice, a quarter of workers can leave that job role.
- Suggested best pattern: two-three nights on, two-three nights off.
- Management training in managing shift patterns.
- Education on how to sleep better.
- Access to support e.g. for sleep monitors and sleep masks.
- Employers must offer workers a free health assessment before they become a night worker.
The same article recommends not working at night if teammates have:
Conditions which are worse at night
Medical conditions which require a strict timetable
Factors that might affect fitness for night work – such as poor night vision for driver
If you have concerns about your teammates and their overnight shifts, rest assured that occupational medicine focuses on workplace safety in all workplaces. From physical exams to ideas that help establish a culture of safety, Jet Medical Center’s staff of physicians can help provide services to your team at our office or your work site. Call, click, or message us today to put our expertise to work for you and your business.
Who is Jet Medical Center®?
Jet Medical Center® is a leading provider of occupational medicine services in the Tallahassee area. We develop, with our client partners, a customized healthcare plan to fit your company’s needs today and into the future.
Our experienced staff of clinicians provides excellent medical care and understands the Worker’s Compensation system and its impact on your company’s financial health. Your employees will have less downtime with less complications reducing overall medical costs.